I created this sword maybe 12 years ago for a minotaur PC, who was a member of the party for which I was DMing. The party was around level 10 (2nd edition rules), and travelled beyond the world of Krynn.
This party was basically a bunch of good guys, who fought evil with remarkable savagery. I decided to use the Ravenloft setting, so I added the Domain of Dread to my own Dragonlance setting. The wizard in the party was a Red Robe with few scruples, which made him susceptible to the influence of the dark powers of Ravenloft.
I needed a character who could pull the party in the direction of good, and as it turned out, the player, who played the minotaur agreed to provide this counterbalance. In order to empower him, and send him on a epic quest, I created the sword Icingdeath.
I stole the name from Forgotten Realms, as it is the name of a white dragon killed by Drizzt Do’Urden. I include the only write up of the sword I could find on laptop. I seem to remember there was a richer back story to the weapon, but unfortunately I cannot find it. I haven’t updated the weapon to 3rd or 4th edition rules either. I don’t have the 4th edition rules, and since my gaming days are long gone, I didn’t see any reason for me to update to 3.5 either.
I hope somebody will find this interesting and maybe update the stats. I’d be more than happy to post the stats on the blog, so if feel free to email me should you decide to update my sword. Email me at dragonlance (at) gigaboot (dot) dk
Used by: Fighters, The white minotaur.
Description: This sword looks like a normal clabbard, except it glows with a faint white light when drawn.
Powers: Being a Frost Brand Icingdeath has the following natual powers:
- +3 bonus to hit and damage.
- +6 vs. fire using/dwelling creatures.
- Wielder is protected as if he wore a ring of fire resistance:
- Immune to normal fires (torches, flaming oil, bonfires, etc.)
- Large fires, molten lavas, wall of fires, etc. causes 10 hit points of damage each round the wielder is directly in it.
- +4 bonus to saving throws vs. red dragon breath weapon and magical fire.
- Damage rolls are calculated by -2.
Secrets: Icingdeath is an intelligent sword and has the following additional powers:
- Primary abilities: Detect fire using/dwelling creatures
- Locate fire using/dwelling creatures
- Extraordinary powers: Cone of cold 1/day (10d4)
- Blizzard 1/day blinds opponent
Special purpose: Slay fire using/dwelling creatures
- Special purpose power: Paralysis 1d4 rounds save to negate
- Communication: Speech (telepathy)
- Number of languages: 2, Common, Minotaur
- Weapon ego: 21
Defenses: Icingdeath chooses its own user and thus does not permit any lesser fighter to wield it. The unfortunate one is subject to a cold shock doing 2d12 points of damage.